February 16, 2012

Rest in Peace, Gary Carter

I am very sad to learn that Gary Carter has passed away today after battling cancer.

I had the privilege to be in Cooperstown, NY the day he entered the Baseball Hall of Fame. I was there to see my favorite player, Eddie Murray, become enshrined, and had the added bonus of seeing "the Kid" too.

Gary was one of the best catchers in MLB history and I was astonished when he wasn't elected to the Hall in his first year of eligibility. I know most remember him for his role on the 1986 New York Mets, who miraculously won the World Series over the Boston Red Sox. But I prefer to think of him in an Expos jersey. I'm sure when opposing pitchers saw Carter, Dawson, and Raines in the same lineup, they knew they were in for a long day.

I realize a blog replaying the 1984 season is pretty silly in the grand scheme of things, but at least I (and whoever else is reading this) will get to relive some of his glories one more time.

My prayers and thoughts for his family, friends and fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment