September 23, 2017

Month in Review - May

Holy cow, May is in the books.  That's two months down.  I can't believe it.  It's taken over five years.  When I started this blog I had two kids and now I have three...with that third kid being five!  My blog is older than my last born!

I'd say the biggest story of the season so far is that none of the four playoff teams from the real 1984 are currently in first place.  The Tigers are closest, just a couple of games back of the Blue Jays.  Toronto has played extremely well but their bullpen will get exposed soon enough.  I predict Detroit will be in first by the end of June.

The Royals have been decimated by injuries, including 20 games to George Brett, but they get most of their starters back within the next week or so.  They've quietly risen up the standings to third place, though they're still five games below .500.  The Padres are showing a little more signs of life but still lag behind four teams in the NL West.  The Astros are still playing stellar ball and haven't come back down to earth yet.  I'm nervous about the Padres chances to duplicate their improbable World Series appearance.

The team that causes me the most stress is the Cubs.  They're dead last and ten games under .500.  The Cardinals might be the best team in either league, which isn't helping.  But, they're on a five game win streak right now and very soon will get both Rick Sutcliffe and Dennis Eckersley in their rotation.  They absolutely need them.

Other Guys Besides Joe Morgan Who Are Playing Way Over Their Heads:

Dion James, Brewers, OF
Gary Pettis, Angels, OF
Oil Can Boyd, Red Sox, P
Brad Gulden, Reds, C
Claudell Washington, Braves, OF
Pasquel Perez, Braves, P

Favorite Game In May?

There were a lot of fun games in May, but I'd have to go with the insane second game of a doubleheader on May 27 between Cleveland and the Blue Jays.  Cleveland scored five runs in the top of the eleventh...but Toronto tied it up and walked it off in the 12th!

Your MVP Race So Far:

American League
1.  Joe Morgan, A's, 2B
2.  Mike Young, Orioles, OF
3.  Dave Winfield, Yankees, OF

National League
1.  Darryl Strawberry, Mets, OF
2.  Claudell Washington, Braves, OF
3.  Tim Raines, Expos, OF

Your CY YOUNG Race So Far:

American League
1.  Doyle Alexander, Blue Jays
2.  Bud Black, Royals
3.  Dan Quisenberry, Royals

National League
1.  Alejandro Pena, Dodgers
2.  Rick Rhoden, Pirates
3.  Dwight Gooden, Mets

ALL STATIS PRO TEAM THROUGH MAY:

P - Alejandro Pena, Dodgers
C - Lance Parrish, Tigers
1B - Alvin Davis, Mariners
2B - Joe Morgan, A's
3B - Wade Boggs, Red Sox
SS - Cal Ripken, Orioles
OF - Darryl Strawberry, Mets
OF - Mike Young, Orioles
OF - Claudell Washington, Braves

I'm An Awesome Manager Of...

The St. Louis Cardinals.  They have the best record in Statis Pro right now and they are running away in the NL East.  They have a lot of versatility on the bench and the bullpen and all cylinders are firing right now.

I'm A Terrible Manager Of...

The Chicago Cubs.  Despite ending the month on a five game win streak, during May they lost THIRTEEN in a row.  I buried their playoff hopes deep in the woods where nobody will find them.  I'm sorry Punky Brewster.

Looking Forward

At the end of April I predicted it would take three to four years to finish May...and I was just about dead right!  It took nearly three and a half on the nose.  That seems to be the going pace, so I'll predict February of 2021 to be done with June...which is so far away yet will get here so quickly...


No comments:

Post a Comment