March 20, 2019

June 14th, 1984 - Ward of the State

Game #797 - Minnesota Twins, 3 @ Texas Rangers, 13

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before (I probably have) but I once saw Gary Ward at the Detroit Airport.  This was in the early 90's, when he was on the Tigers.  He was in a track suit deboarding a plane.  My eyes got big as saucers, he walked right past me, and that was it. 

But I've had a soft spot for him ever since.

This was game was all Ward and Mickey Rivers.  The two combined to go 9-9 with two homers, a double, six RBI and six runs.  It was quite remarkable.  Danny Darwin took a shutout into the ninth before the Twinkies finally put some runs on the board.

Winning Pitcher - Danny Darwin
Losing Pitcher - Al Williams
Player of the Game - Gary Ward
Hall of Famers in the Game - Kirby Puckett

This was the last game of June 14th - I'll work on updating the stats between now and when this posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment