June 11, 2020

June 17, 1984 - Rhoden Tosses 2-Hit Gem

Game #830 - Pittsburgh Pirates, 8 @ Montreal Expos, 1

If you are a loyal and long time reader of this blog, you'll know the closest I've come to a no-hitter was an Orioles vs. White Sox game where Mike Flanagan lost it sometime in the seventh (I think) but completed the game for a one-hit shutout.

I thought this would be my second one-hit game of the year.

It snuck up on me because Rick Rhoden surrendered his first hit of the game in the bottom of the second inning.  Andre Dawson parked it to tie the game at one run apiece.  After that, Rhoden kept missing bats.  In fact, it was still a one-hitter with one out in the bottom of the ninth.  That's when Tim Wallach poked a single to crush my dreams.  Rhoden, though, got the next two batters out and that sealed the deal on an awesome game of pitching.

Winning Pitcher - Rick Rhoden
Losing Pitcher - Steve Rogers
Player of the Game - Rick Rhoden, CG, 2H's, 2K's, 3BB's, HB, 1-5, R
Hall of Famers in the Game - Tim Raines, Gary Carter, Andre Dawson

No comments:

Post a Comment