December 30, 2012

April 23, 1984 - Padres Heating Up...

Game #203 - San Francisco Giants, 3 @ San Diego Padres, 6

If I'm not scanning my own 1985 Topps cards, I'm stealing images like this off the internet.  Do I need to cite where I'm lifting them from?  I'm not sure what is appropriate for an obscure blog like this.  If one of you reading this would like to give me the Donruss and/or Fleer set to add to my personal inventory, I'd be obliged.

Luis Salazar and Terry Kennedy each had RBI hits in the second off of Randy Lerch to give the Padres an early lead.  Chili Davis managed to bring home Manny Trillo in the third.  Besides a Bob Brenly homer in the seventh, that's all the damage the Giants could muster against Ed Whitson over seven innings.

The Padres picked up three more runs in the sixth, two of them coming from a Gary Templeton double.  Templeton added a sacrifice fly in the eighth for his third RBI of the day.  San Diego is now just a game below .500 and looking more like the NL Champions from the real 1984.

Winning Pitcher - Ed Whitson
Losing Pitcher - Randy Lerch
Save - Goose Gossage
Player of the Game - Kevin McReynolds, 3-4, 2 2B's, 3R's, 1 RBI, threw out Manny Trillo at third to end the game.
Hall of Famers in the Game - Tony Gwynn, Goose Gossage

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite memories from 1984 was the huge Braves Padres brawl. See the video here:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=5955859&c_id=mlb

    Shirtless Ed Whitson was a beast!

    RIP Champ Summers and Pascual Perez; both passed away in 2012. Summers was awful in 1984, but he earned his paycheck this game.

    The dislike between teams is sorely lacking in today's game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man - can't wait to get to that game in this season...though that will probably take me several years, lol...

    ReplyDelete