January 29, 2012

April 3, 1984 - Second Guessing Myself


Game #8 - Philadelphia Phillies, 0 @ Atlanta Braves, 10
Today was the first time since starting this season I second guessed myself on the managerial moves I made. The first situation occurred in the bottom of the first. Rafael Ramirez and Dale Murphy were on second and third after Murph crushed a double. With one out, first base open, and Bob Horner at bat, I had Steve Carlton intentionally walk Horner to load the bases with the hope Albert Hall would ground into the double play. Instead, he hit a grand slam. (Albert Hall had one home run in the real 1984 season - I bet it wasn't an opening day grand slam)


The second situation was the bottom of the fourth. Gerald Perry was on third and Ramirez was on second after Glenn Wilson was unable to throw out Bruce Bennedict at the plate. Murphy was up with two outs. I could have walked him to load the bases and face Horner. Instead, I had Carlton pitch to him and he smashed a three run homer, which ended Carlton's day. Should I have walked Murphy to face Horner? Horner could swing it back in the day...


Atlanta's starting pitcher Pascual Perez, famous for being the eldest of a gaggle of MLB pitching brothers and also once getting lost while driving to the stadium, pitched an absolute gem for the Braves. He shut out the Phillies while striking out six. He even managed an RBI when he walked with the bases loaded. Mike Schmidt had an uncharacteristically bad day, going 0-4 and stranding two runners in the sixth while also making two errors in the field.


There was an unusual "Z" play this game too. An umpire thought relief pitcher Don Carman went to his mouth before delivering a pitch and awarded Gerald Perry a walk (the bases were loaded). In my imagination I got myself tossed from the game to go out and protect my player and give the man in blue a piece of my mind. I'm sure Don appreciated it.


Winning Pitcher - Pascual Perez
Losing Pitcher - Steve Carlton
Hall of Famers in the Game - Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton
Player of the Game - Pascual Perez, SHO, 6K's, 6H's, 2BB's


I'm a little busy this week so I may not get a new game posted for a few days. The American League standings are updated too.

No comments:

Post a Comment