April 3, 2012

April 13, 1984 - Toilet Expos-ed

My folks are in town this week and my dad helped me fix one of the toilets in the house.  I am sad to admit I know very little when it comes to easy home repairs.  I'm not mechanically inclined.  Growing up I was more interested in my baseball cards than I was hanging out with my father when he was tinkering around the house.  I think that's one of the cool things about getting older, though.  Your dad is still your dad, and I appreciated his help tonight.  Also, I got to work the Montreal game into the title of this post. 

Game #104 - Philadelphia Phillies, 7 @ Montreal Expos, 6
Both teams have been in the crapper so far this season.  Montreal has only won once and the Phillies were riding a three game losing streak.  It was a scoreless game in the bottom of the third when Gary Carter splashed a homer for two runs and an Expos lead off starting pitcher Charles Hudson.  That was all the damage Hudson allowed, though, through six innings. 

Tim Corcoran flushed a solo shot in the fourth for Philly, and they got two more runs on hits from Corcoran again and SS Ivan DeJesus in the sixth.  The Phillies had a 5-2 lead in the eighth when pinch hitter Luis Aguayo plopped a double to score Gary Maddox and Von Hayes.  This ended up being the game winning hit because Montreal scored four runs in the eighth and ninth for a near comeback victory.  But Larry Andersen struck out Bryan Little causing the Expos to circle the bowl. 

Winning Pitcher - Charles Hudson
Losing Pitcher - Bob James
Save - Larry Andersen
Player of the Game - Corcoran was 3-3, but I've got to go with Aguayo.
Hall of Famers in the Game - Mike Schmidt, Gary Carter, Andre Dawson

No comments:

Post a Comment