April 21, 2012

April 16, 1984 - User Error

Game #130 - Oakland A's, 8 @ Seattle Mariners, 11

I screwed up.  The "first" time I completed this game I noticed something as I was tallying the hitting statistics.  There was only one out in the Mariners' half of the second inning.  I had moved on to the top of third with runners on first and third.  I can neither confirm nor deny the cause of distraction was my flipping between the Tigers game on Fox Sports Detroit and the Cubs game on WGN.  So I started the game over from the point I had left off the first time, and thankfully, the same basic outcome still occurred.

Rickey Henderson led off the game in the first with a home run, his first on the year.  This ranks right up there with Don Baylor's first beaning as things I was excited to experience in the Statis Pro season.  Al Cowens had an RBI double in the bottom of the first.  He's been ice cold this season so its nice to see him with a big hit.  The Mariners exploded on A's pitcher Ray Burris in the second when they plated six runs.  Alvin Davis hit his second double of the game in that inning, making him the Statis Pro leader in both leagues for that category.

Mark Langston couldn't get out of the fourth inning as he was predetermined to have "terrible" stuff when he started the game.  Ed Vande Berg let up three more runs to make it a slim 9-7 Mariners lead.  But Bob Stoddard came in for Seattle and pitched a near flawless three innings for the win.  His only mistake was to Dave Kingman, who parked a solo homer to score the A's last run of the day.

Winning Pitcher - Bob Stoddard
Losing Pitcher - Keith Atherton
Save - Mike Stanton
Player of the Game - Stoddard.  I'm developing a crush on these long relievers who save me bullpen moves.
Hall of Famers in the Game - Rickey Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment