July 29, 2014

May 4th, 1984 - Anonymous FTW

Game #323 - Cincinnati Reds, 3 @ Philadelphia Phillies, 4

A few days back an "anonymous" reader checked in on a comments section and requested a specific lineup for the Phillies.  Who am I to deny my fans?  Here's what he/she wanted:

1.  Samuel, 4
2.  Hayes, 8
3.  Schmidt, 5
4.  Virgil, 2  (Actually wanted Lezcano here, but he's on the DL)
5.  Matuszek, 3
6.  Maddox, 7
7.  Wilson, 9
8.  DeJesus, 6
9.  pitcher, 1 - just happened to be Hall of Famer Steve Carlton

It's not a bad looking lineup!  I typically hit Samuel down in the six hole, because despite his 70 stolen bases in 1984, his on-base skills leave a lot to be desired.  So how did "anonymous" do?  Let's see!

He/she looked like a genius out of the gate.  Samuel doubled and, three batters later, Virgil put one over the fence for a quick 2-0 lead.  The Phillies added a third run in the third when Carlton reached on a Nick Esasky error.  Samuel popped out but Hayes smoked a triple to plate Carlton.

Carlton, meanwhile, was more than handling the Reds.  Despite drawing a "horrible stuff" fast action card to start the game, he was holding his own.  In fact, the Reds were scoreless going into the top of the ninth.  I wanted Carlton to get the shutout, so he was still pitching.  Cesar Cedeno led off with a double, and moved to third on a weak Dave Concepcion single.  Dave Parker hit into a fielder's choice but plated Cedeno in doing so.  At that point I lifted Carlton for Larry Andersen.  Pinch hitter Wayne Krenchicki flew out to left, but Dan Driessen doubled to move Parker to third.  Tim Foley then roped a double to plate those two and tie the game!

Ted Power took the mound for the Reds in the bottom of the ninth.  Pinch hitter Jim Lefebvre singled with no outs.  Greg Gross subbed for DeJesus and successfully made contact on a risky hit and run play, moving Lefebvre to third.  Kiko Garcia struck out, but Juan Samuel poked a single through the drawn in infield to win the game on a walk-off!

Winning Pitcher - Larry Andersen
Losing Pitcher - Ted Power
Player of the Game - Steve Carlton, ND, 8 1/3IP, 2R's, 6K's, 4H's
Hall of Famers in the Game - Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton

Game #324 - San Francisco Giants, 3 @ St. Louis Cardinals, 10

Dan Gladden and Steve Nicoscia each hit solo homers in the top of the first, but it was all St. Louis after that.  Starter Mark Davis couldn't escape a five-run fifth and the Lou just kept piling it on afterwards.

Winning Pitcher - Dave LaPoint
Losing Pitcher - Mark Davis
Player of the Game - Tom Nieto, 3-5, 2 2B's, HR, 4RBI's, ejected in the ninth for arguing with the umpire, despite a seven run lead.  Can't teach heart.


4 comments:

  1. I was the anonymous commenter a few days ago. My name is Ben. Thanks for using my lineup. I check your site every day (sometimes multiple times) for new updates. I love statispro and enjoy reading your recaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben! I'm glad you enjoy the site - it's a lot of fun to play these games. Thanks for reading these silly recaps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I check it too quit often...One, 1984 was a wonderful year and brings me back to my youth....2..I love Statis Pro....3. I enjoy actual replays and not draft leagues. Keep it up. My hats off to you for taking on such a big challenge. My replays are limited to replaying one team's actual schedule...Frank...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if I asked this before but are you using the 1984 cards made by Avalon Hills or one of those sets that was made by a collector? Are you using any special rules or adjustments such as ballpark factors or just playing the game out of the box rules? Thanks---Frank

    ReplyDelete